24.8.14

Vendakka Paalkari - A Ladies Finger Specialty From God's Own Country



As  child, I remember my mom coaxing me for having my food, and all of a sudden when I see this simple and humble dish made out of ladies finger, I make up my mind to have my food without much fuss. Vendakka Palkkari is one of the favorite dishes I used to have when I was a child, and I find it as one of my favorites even to this day.


Ladies Finger or Vendakka is a vegetable which is slimy, yet tasty. We find a variety of dishes made out of Ladies finger or Vendakka in India. North Indian favorites like stuffed ladies finger is one among the popular dishes loved by all. frying ladies finger too is very tasty and healthy too.


Here I am publishing the recipe of a very simple dish made out of Ladies Finger. This is a Kerala special dish that needs only a few ingredients and a few minutes to cook too. You can serve this dish with rice or chapattis.


Vendakka Palkari is the name of the dish I am about to explain to you guys. This dish is often served to small children, as it does not have loads of spices in it. Moreover, the yummy taste of coconut milk makes the curry a special one.


Ingredients



·         Ladies finger – ¼ kg (Serves 4-5)
·         Onions – 1 cup
·         Green chilies – 2 or 3
·         Coconut Milk (Thick)- 1 cup
·         Coconut Milk (Thin) – ½ cup or a bit more
·         Salt
·         Coconut oil


Method



·         Heat a large pan
·         Add oil and heat the oil
·         Now add mustard seeds and pop them
·         Add curry leaves
·         Add finely chopped onions and green chilies to the oil
·         Saute well till light golden brown
·         Now add the ladies finger pieces into the pan and saute well so that the sliminess goes off
·         Add Thin coconut milk, add some salt and allow it to boil
·         Close the lid for 10 min
·         After 10 min, check whether the ladies finger pieces are cooked
·         Now add Thick coconut milk and let it heat
·         Do not boil
·         Check salt and switch off the flame
·         Serve with rice or chapattis



No comments:

Post a Comment